Common uses of acupuncture include treatment of pain, reducing or preventing the need for medication or surgery, and therapy for many acute and chronic conditions. Effective results usually require a series of 3 - 10 treatments. We specialize in back pain.
Acupuncture is one of the most time-tested treatments known to mankind. If the value of a treatment were based solely on how long it has been around, and how long people have thought that it was helpful, then acupuncture would probably be the most effective treatment known to humankind. Dr. Scott Fishman, Chief of the Division of Pain Medicine and Associate Professor of Anesthesiology, UC Davis
Acupuncture is used worldwide and proven safe and effective for the treatment of pain. Americans are only 5% of the world's population, yet we consume 80% of the world's pain medications. In America between 1991 and 2010, prescriptions for pain medications increased from 30 million to 180 million, a 600% increase. Sales of opiates such as Percocet® Vicodin® and OxyContin® have skyrocketed, and deaths from overdoses have tripled during the past decade.
- How long does an acupuncture treatment take to work?
- Most patients feel beneficial results within 1 - 10 treatments. Chronic conditions may take longer. Response to treatment depends on the individual patient, the type of condition and how serious it is. The number and frequency of treatments needed will vary widely (usually 2 - 10 visits total).
- In general, acute, short-term conditions require less treatment than chronic, long-term conditions.
- Each acupuncture session builds on the previous one, gradually restoring fundamental health balance. To achieve optimal healing effects, it is important to return for treatment before symptoms return to their original intensity.
- How can acupuncture help me?
- Relief Care: Relieve pain and other symptoms of disease and injury (acute & chronic).
- Corrective Care: Improve organ function and strengthen the immune system to help the body heal.
- Maintenance Care: Long-term preventative care to help maintain optimum health and wellness.
Acupuncture has been used sucessfully for thousands of years. Today, it is used around the world and promoted by major healthcare institutions including the Mayo Clinic, World Health Organization, U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH) and more.
Over its thousands of years of development, a wealth of experience has accumulated in the practice of acupuncture, attesting to the wide range of diseases and conditions that can be effectively treated with this approach. World Health Organization
A Comprehensive Review of the Clinical Research on Accupuncture
The World Health Organization (WHO) has published a comprehensive report reviewing a number of controlled clinical studies on acupuncture. Their purpose with this this research is to strengthen and promote the appropriate use of acupuncture in healthcare systems worldwide. Information on the therapeutic mechanisms of acupuncture is included.
Research by the U.S. National Institutes of Health (NIH)
According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), acupuncture is proven in treating the following conditions and pathologies:
- nausea caused by cancer chemotherapy
- dental pain after surgery
- menstrual cramps
- tennis elbow
- myofascial (connective tissue) pain
- lower back pain
- carpal tunnel syndrome
- assist in stroke rehabilitation
More Information about Acupuncture